What Fish Medication Do I Use To Treat Fin and Tail Rot
Here you will learn how to treat fin and
tail rot on goldfish and find out what medication will heal
your sick fish. First thing you need to do is make sure you
properly diagnose your goldfish's sickness. Fin and tail rot
is quite noticeable by simply observing the fins and tail slowly
being eaten away and deteriorating. It will be light pinkish to
red when bacterial infections begin to set in. When you notice
signs and symptoms of disease you need to treat your goldfish
right away as it's fairly easy to treat in the early stages.
Using the right fin and tail rot medication, it will
clear up in no time.
Fish Medications Used
Fin and Tail Rot
There are several fish medications you
can use to treat your goldfish that may have fin and tail rot.
One of the first ones you can use is Melafix an All-Natural
Antibacterial remedy for the treatment goldfish and koi
diseases. A very effective treatment for bacterial infections
like ulcers, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, open wounds and damaged
Treating Fin and Tail
Rot With Melafix
- Quarrantine your sick goldfish in a seperate fish tank.
- Remove activated carbon from your filter and make sure
you shut off the uv sterilizer if you have one.
- Add 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Melafix for every 50 gallons of
water. For severe cases of fin and tail rot double the
dosage to 2 teaspoons per 50 gallons.
- Follow directions on bottle and repeat dosage as stated.
Please not water will foam up when you add it to your
aquarium, this is normal.
You can buy Aquarium Pharmaceuticals® MelaFix (16oz)
online which is cheaper
then in pet stores
Treating Fin and Tail
Rot With Kordon Formalin3 (Melachite Green)
- Quarrantine any sick fish in a seperate aquarium.
- Remove activated carbon from your aquarium filter and
shut off uv sterilizer
- Wear safety goggles and gloves when using malachite
green as it stains clothes and is a carcinogen.
- Before beginning treatment do a 25% partial water
- Add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of melachite green per every 50
gallons. Do not add directly to the aquarium, dilute in in
some water then slowly add.
- Make sure aeration is at it's maximum during the
- Observe your fish for any signs of severe stress,
gasping and clamped fins. If so add activated carbon and do
an immediate 25% water change. All fish go through some
degree of stress, use your judgement.
- After 24 hours repeat the process, perform a 25% water
change then add more malachite.
- Repeat above procedures for 7 days, if not totally
healed begin treatment for fin and tail rot again.
You can buy
Kordon Formalin3® Treatment and Dip - 16oz
online cheaper then it would be in pet stores.
Remember most all goldfish diseases, illnesses and parasites
can be prevented. Perform regular maintenance procedures and
take care of your goldfish properly and you should have no
problem with fin and tail rot or other sickness. If your
goldfish do get fin and tail rot the above fish medication
treatments will work and get their health back to normal.
TIP: Always make
sure you have some fin and tail rot medication on hand in case of
infection. Treating fin and tail rot in early stages with the right fish medication
will increase your chances of success.
TIP: Buy fin and
medication online, it is cheaper and you'll save some money.